FCT Post-doc (with ‘Rui Nabeiro’ Biodiversity Chair)
My research interests revolve mainly around systematic conservation prioritization. I have particular interest in developing novel conceptual and methodological approaches integrating the impacts of climate change and other dynamic processes into area prioritization. To follow this aim I use mathematical (mostly combinatorics) and statistical tools, integrated in optimising algorithms, to achieve the best solutions (either minimising costs or maximising utility).
My background is in Biology (BSc.) and Applied Mathematics (MSc.) and during my PhD I fused both interests with the development of quantitative tools to assist selection of areas for species conservation under climate change. Presently, I am working as an FCT post-doctoral fellow in the ‘Rui Nabeiro’ Biodiversity Chair at the University of Évora, Portugal.
1. Alagador, D.; Triviño, M.; Orestes Cerdeira, J.; Brás, R.; Cabeza, M. and Araújo, M.B. Linking like with like: optimising connectivity between environmentally-similar habitats. Landscape Ecology.Volume 27, Number 2, 291-301, DOI: 10.1007/s10980-012-9704-9
2. Araújo, M.B.; Alagador, D.; Cabeza, M.; Nogués-Bravo, D. & Thuiller, W. 2011. Climate change threatens European conservation areas. Ecology Letters, 14: 484-492.
3. Alagador, D.; Martins, M.J.; Orestes Cerdeira, J.; Cabeza, M. & Araújo, M.B. 2011. A probability-based approach to match species with reserves when data are at different resolutions. Biological Conservation 144 (2): 811-820.
4. Alagador, D. and Orestes Cerdeira, J. 2007. Designing spatially-coherent ecological reserve networks in the presence of highly irreplaceable sites. Biological Conservation 137: 254-262.
5. Alagador, D.; Triviño, M.; Orestes Cerdeira, J.; Brás, R.; Cabeza, M. and Araújo, M.B. Linking like with like: optimising connectivity between environmentally-similar habitats. 2012. Landscape Ecology. 27:291–301.
6. De Oliveira, G., Araújo, M.B., Rangel, T.F.L.V.B., Alagador, D. & Diniz-Filho, A. 2012. Conserving the Brazilian semiarid (Caating) biome under climate change. Biodiversity and Conservation. 21, (11): 2913-2926.
7. Brás, R., Cerdeira, J.O., Alagador, D., Araújo, M.B. Linking habitats for multiple species. Environmental Modelling & Software. In press.